Sunday 17 February 2013

STEPPING OUT OF MY COMFORT ZONE - FINAL BLOG








So what is this all about?  Well - after a great deal of soul searching, sleepless nights, dialogues with those close to me, and a lot of prayer . . . I've decided that this is going to be a year of drastic changes for me.   If you've read the end of my Challenge #40 - that was the clincher for me.

First Change
 
I have loved doing my blog (although it is incredibly time-consuming) . . . and while I am not a quitter, just because things get hard or busy - I've decided to hang up my blogging "pen".  After evaluating what is on my plate and will be added to that plate. . . it just makes good sense to make some changes . . . even to things I enjoy.  I've appreciated the many kind things people have shared with me via private message, e-mails and in person.  I realize that I am nearing the end of my 55 Challenges, but life is getting so busy for me and I have a lot of things to process in the next while.
   
 
Second Change:

I'm leaving my job.  THAT decision came with mixed feelings, because I find a great deal of satisfaction working with the ELL (English Language Learning) students and their parents.  We've had so much fun (and that's not an understatement either) and it's been wonderful being a part of their learning and integration into the Canadian school system. 
 
I have parents in BC that have been struggling with health isuses and working in this program has, at times given me flexibility to go and help them out - but not enough.  I've had terrific siblings that have moved mountains to be available for them and I feel I need to make more time for larger periods of time to do my share.  

Third Change:
 
I'm going back to school!   Can I tell you how much that has sparked dialogue!  lol 

"Are you out of your mind?" 
"Holy Cow - you are already old!  Think how old you will be when you finish!" 
"Why?  You have it ALL right now ... that's crazy!"
"That's wonderful!  You will be great at whatever you do!"
"For Pete's Sake, your kids are finally going to be out of the house - now you can travel!" 
"Your husband is going to retire soon enough - why would you waste your time and money at this point in your life?" 
"You will be going to school with all those young kids!  That would be so hard!" 
"What if you fail?" 
"Can't you do something easier?"

and so on and so on.  Can't lie to you . . . I've had my moments of discouragement and wondered if I wasn't, in fact, losing my mind or making the wrong decision.   But - then, my husband or someone else brings me back.  I suspect I'll have a few of those, "Oh, WOW - what HAVE I DONE?" moments down the road.  I guess that is part of the "unknown".  If doing the unknown was always easy, more people would probably try it.
 
Personally, I've never felt that going back to school while my kids were in school, was even a consideration for me.  I don't have any views on that for other families (we all have to do what works for our own families) but I've just never felt for me, that was how I wanted to raise my kids.  I've appreciated the freedoms and opportunities I've had with being at home with my gang while they were in school.  Working as support staff in the school system has allowed me to have holidays and professional development days off with my kids.  It was a great compromise.  Now that my "baby" is graduating from high school and off to university, I am free to try something new.  Time for change. 

I haven't totally decided what path I will take or which university.  At this point, I am not interested in a large university - so I may begin with St. Mary's or Ambrose.  A Bachelor of Arts - Behavioural Sciences / Psychology is the route I am looking.  Teaching?  Not sure - that's 6 years and I personally think that 6 years might be overkill for me.  I love ELL and probably would like to use my degree in that direction.  But who knows . . . this might just start out simply as a year of transition.  There's lots to consider so we shall see how it all unfolds.

 
 
Some time back, someone once said to me, when I was waffling on doing a particular thing . . . "Cat!  In 5 years you will be 50.  You can be 50 and have something to show for it or be 50 and not.  But, either way -  in 5 years, you will STILL BE 50! So, you might as well do it!"  Isn't that the truth!  By the way - I did do it!
 
I recall years ago, Oprah coming up with the catchy phrase - 50 is the new 40.  I laughed because I thought that was how she was dealing with hitting that milestone.  But, as I've thought about it . . . I realized that she was actually quite right.  Providing you are in good shape. 

I recall reading a book (and the name escapes me, though it is my book closet somewhere) about the Baby Boomers that are retiring.  It showed a picture of the author (in his 50's) along side a picture of his grandpa when he was in his 50's.  What a shocker! 

The author's grandpa had not aged well.  He looked tired and worn out.  The premise of the writing was that today - many people don't want to (or can't afford to) retire when they reach the coveted "55".  Those that are in good health and are fit, have little desire to hand in their resignation.  They are wanting to keep working or keep active as long as they can.  In our grandparents days, work was often much more physical and the idea of working past those "magic numbers" was almost unthinkable.  They WERE tired.  They were very ready to take it easy and enjoy their retirement years.  Oddly enough, statistics show that people aren't actually living significantly longer - but they are living differently.  This generation does seem to have more money than previous generations and are able to live quite a more affluent lifestyle, if they choose to - travel, new cars and bigger homes, etc.  They aren't necessarily eating better (compliments of fast food and more disposable income).  

So, it does make sense - if one eats well, has good health, stays fit, and manages the stress - those that are in their 40's are actually feeling much more like the old 30's, and the same with 60's being 50's, and 70's being 60's.   
 
I recall having breakfast with a man (in his 70's) and asking him how his retirement was going.  (I hope I haven't shared this story before, but if I have - he's a good reminder of my point.)  He was pretty candid about the lack of daily employment.  It sucked.  He was tired of painting walls, doing odds and ends, gardening, etc.  Every day was the same.  Boring.  His wife was not able to travel much anymore as her unpredictable health wasn't conducive to long trips. He shared how, one day while he was having coffee, he came across a tiny ad in one of the local newspapers.  Apparently, this small business was looking for someone to fill a part time position - one that, coincidentally, he had no qualifications for.  He threw caution to the wind and applied.  Low and behold, they hired him.  He was over the moon.  He would be working during the week - 11 am. to 2 pm.  He was given a parking spot, a cell phone, a credit card and more importantly, a new lease on life! To date he has been there for 5 years and still loves it!  He misses rush hour traffic, enjoys a small, but meaningful paycheque, and best of all, has a reason to get up in the morning. 
 
 
Since sharing my "news", I have had a number of people remind me that:


I am not a spring chicken and that I actually have Grandchildren (true - and guess what -my 5 year old grand-daughter will start her new adventure at school in September, and so will I!)

I am at the age of retirement and pension (true - but I just found out that I qualify for a small pension back from before I had kids - I am now collecting and it's going to pay for my schooling!  Yahoo!)

Life isn't always about me and that my family needs me (true - but this time - it is about me!!!! Double yahoo!!)

I will no longer qualify for my great health care plan at work (true - BUT now I can take time off during the school year to go to Israel with my Mother-in-Law and enjoy the health benefits of floating in the Dead Sea!)

I have lots of plans for the next few years that probably wouldn't happen, if I still worked BUT they will fit in with my school schedule - I can go on my grand-daughter's field trips, I can visit my parents longer, I can travel to Ireland (my dream destination), I can sub on my free days for my current school program, I can go on business trips with my husband, I can take a trip to a struggling part of the world to help build something that will have a positive impact on a village, etc. 
 
Whatever I decide to try out at school might just end up being way more work than I actually feel I am prepared to do . . . or end up looking differently than I originally envisioned, but, that's ok, too. You don't know what something is like until you try it.  So, who knows where I will end up.  It's kind of exciting to think of all the possibilities and adventures out there and that I get to decide what I will try.

If we have the health, the money, and the time, what's really stopping us?  One day, you may be at the same place I'm at.  Maybe not.  Not everyone has "unfinished business" or a desire to try something new.  That's ok but if you do find yourself one day. . . wondering . . . think of me and know that you won't be the only one! 

We can always find the money, we can always the time, we can always find the way . . . IF it's something you really want to do.  I don't think we even have to have a master plan or a bucket list . . . sometimes life just happens along the way.

  Food for Thought:




Thanks for coming along this past year for my Challenges - I've learned an awful lot . . .

* we always have options
* we can sometimes be our own biggest
  roadblocks
* having challenges is a good thing - we
  never know what we are capable of
  until we get out of our comfort zone
  and try
* I am fearfully and wonderfully made -
  what I choose to do with those gifts is
  up to me. 
* Having integrity is important!   And, so
  are faith, family and friends!  

See you somewhere along my journey(s)!!!!

Cat
 

 


 
 
 
 
Images by:  Careerrocketeer.com; myoneresolution.com; zazzle.ca; flickr.com;paradigmcrossfit.com; pinterst; healio.com; quotelovers.com; kootation.com;

2 comments:

  1. Good for ou, that's what retirment means, doing what you want

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks but I'm not really retiring - just doing something different - lol.

    ReplyDelete